Pressure Cells are also used to measure stress in mass concrete. Encardio-Rite is the world’s leading manufacturer and supplier of Pressure Cells.
The applications of pressure cells include:
1. Measuring the orientation and magnitude of total pressure and stress distribution within dam embankments and the interface of soil and concrete.
2. Determining contact pressure on retaining and diaphragm walls, piers, and abutments.
3. Measuring pressure and within the lining of underground cavities.
4. Monitoring of stress in the rock walls of unlined caverns and tunnels.
5. Evaluating foundation bearing pressures
6. Measuring radial and tangential stresses in tunnel shotcrete tunnel linings
7. Mine backfilling monitoring
Encardio-rite essentially has six different types of Pressure Cells largely being put into geotechnical monitoring and surveying.
ESC-30V is used to monitor the radial and tangential stresses in the shortcrete of tunnels, particularly where the New Austrian Tunnelling Method and underground works are being implemented. Measurement of radial and tangential stresses within the shotcrete lining is a vital feature of this type of stress cell.
The EPS-30V-C is a concrete pressure cell designed to be installed in concrete. It is equipped with a pinch tube which comes in handy when the concrete is cured. To ensure proper contact between the pressure pad and the surrounding concrete, the pinch tube is squeezed to push the fluid into the pressure pad to expand/inflate it.
The EPS-30V-I interface pressure cell is used to measure pressure between soil and rock or concrete interfaces. The pressure cell is designed similarly to EPS-30V-S, except for a thicker diaphragm on the rock/concrete side of the pressure pad, which minimizes point-loading effects.
The EPS-30V-S earth pressure cell is used to measure total pressure in the earth fills and embankments. Two stainless steel discs welded around the periphery form a flexible, circular and flat pressure pad. The pressure pad is connected to an electron beam welded vibrating wire pressure sensor with a 6 mm diameter x 165 mm long stainless tube. The narrow cavity between the pressure pad and the tube is filled with de-aired fluid.