Encardio-rite displacement sensors are used in geotechnical and structural engineering applications where either it is difficult to take direct mechanical readings due to inaccessibility or online data needs to be logged at a remote location. Some uses are:
1. Monitoring rock mass or concrete displacement in single or multipoint borehole extensometers
2. Monitoring soil displacement in soil extensometers
3. Monitoring surface cracks in structures and rock mass
The displacement sensors are often used in uniaxial/biaxial/triaxial crack meters or joint meters, borehole extensometers (BHE) and soil extensometers. Different variants are available to suit the application. Encardio-rite manufactures vibrating wire as well as potentiometric displacement transducers.
Vibrating wire displacement sensors (Model EDE - VXX) in three different variants:
1. Model EDE-VXX-SC with side cable (suitable for crack gage)
2. Model EDE-VXX-RC with rear cable (suitable for BHE)
3. Model EDE-VXX-WP waterproof
Model EDE-PXX Potentiometric displacement sensors
The vibrating wire displacement sensor has an advantage over conventional transducers like LVDT as the former gives frequency rather than a voltage as the output signal. The frequency signal can be transmitted over long distances without any change in value caused by variations in cable resistance which can arise from water penetration, temperature fluctuations, contact resistance or leakage to the ground.
The sensor output can be accurately measured by any suitable readout unit. The data can also be automatically collected at the desired frequency, stored and transmitted to a remote server by a suitable wireless data logger.